Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Weekend Update, New Buys, and the Knights of Cydonia

[8:25p]

I. Weekend Update

Since I didn't blog all weekend, I'll give you a quick rundown of what went down.

Friday

  • Stayed home from work in the morning to wait for the DIRECTV guy to come over and install our new DIRECTV Plus DVR! (DVR is essentially Tivo - pause, rewind, record live TV, etc.)

  • Sat around messing with our new toy, figuring out how to work it.

  • Hung out with my good friend Emily, getting Jamba Juice, hanging out at Barnes and Noble, and having a long due heart-to-heart.

  • Went to the gym for a good workout.

Saturday
  • Went to church choir practice in the morning.

  • Chillaxed at home for the whole day, playing around with the DVR (Digital Video Recorder)

  • Took a nap.

  • Went to Cinemark Movies 22 to hang out with Justin L. (Known henceforth as JLeb), Emily (his girlfriend), Jen (Justin's sister), Manny (Jen's fiance), Justin's parents, and several friends of Manny and Jen's.

  • Watched School for Scoundrels in celebration of Justin's 20th birthday which is actually today (Tuesday). It was funny in some parts, but overall the film was lacking. At best, it helped me confirm that Jon Heder (AKA: Napoleon Dynamite) is not a great actor. He should just make Napoleon Dynamite: The Series... it's probably the only role he can play.

  • Drove down to Alhambra to spend the night at my friend Grant's house.

Sunday
  • Went to Cal Poly Pomona for a special college student church service and 'sportsfest' event.

  • Went to a mall in Santa Anita with Grant's girlfriend Jessica and her best friend Anya. We visited Brookstone for their awesome massage chairs.

  • Brookstone now sells a ridiculous product called the iGallop, a fitness machine meant to give you better abs.
    When I straddled the product and gave it a go, I couldn't help but laugh. I actually felt quite violated. Check out all the YouTube Videos of the iGallop. I guess the product originated from Japan? Anyway, here's the original TV commercial:

  • Experienced the Nun Incident.

  • Played Poker at JLeb's house with JLeb, Justin, Emily, and Manny. Long story short, we started playing at 10:05pm, I got knocked out first at around 11:30pm, and dealt for the rest of the night until 1:40am.


I hope your weekend was as eventful as mine.


II. New Buys

I've bought several new things in the past couple days. Saturday, I purchased the CD The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch from the Buffalo, NY band with the equally long name Cute is What We Aim For.



The music is alright. The instrumentals aren't really anything all that special to write home to mom about. Lead vocalist Shaant doesn't have all that impressive of a voice either. It's almost kind of whiny. The lyrics aren't very thought provoking either...

And you check labels more than the FCC
and these calories are, are killing me
This is a sticky situation
So keep your chest in the game
And drop your jaw and coax me
(just coax me, just coax me)

- "There's a Class For This" - Cute is What We Aim For



...what???

Really, the only thing that works for them, is that the music is repetitive enough to the point of actually being pretty catchy. I knew right away that I didn't really like the album, but it might be one that grows on me, simply for its simplicity.

--

Today I purchased two things: Thank You for Smoking and The Killers' new release, "Sam's Town.



I actually just listened to the entire CD while writing this blog entry and I have to say, upon first impression, it's pretty darn good. I'll probably write more on what I think about it later in the week as I give it a couple more spins.

I really do like their new single, "When You Were Young". Have a listen, courtesy of Imeem.com



III. The Knights of Cydonia

...and in TV news, I was watching Fuse last friday after I got my DVR installed, and came across a super sweet music video. The song is "Knights of Cydonia" by Muse. Watch it, it's astounding. I don't think I've ever seen a music video like it.




[9:40p]

Cy

1 reactions. Post a Comment:

Tom said...

...we all live in a yellow submarine? What? That music video was...unique, which is definately saying something.