Thursday, October 05, 2006

Natural Rights, TV Shows, and "Nigger"

[10:53p]

I. Natural Rights

Y'all probably know by now, Thursday nights are Philosophy night. Dr. Hale continues to astound me week after week.

Our class is now getting into the discussion of the Priniciples of Social Morality and Responsibility. To set that up, we started off with a topic that must first be addressed: Natural Rights.

What are Natural Rights? They are rights that are imparted onto us since birth that can be known and realized through reason, as opposed to rights imparted onto us by society, government, emotion, or culture.

John Locke had stated, "...and reason teaches all mankind, who will but consult it, that being all equal and independent, no one ought harm another in life, health, liberty, and possessions."

We have our right to life, health, liberty, and possessions simply because we are human. Again, no person has more value than another. Both you and I only have this moment. Our lives can be taken away in the blink of an eye. Neither you nor I are gauranteed the next week, day, or even hour. So who has more value? If I have a PhD and you have a GED does that mean I have more value than you? No, I might die tomorrow. What good does that make me? These degrees are only tools to help us do our job and fulfill our potential to help contribute to society.

Anyway, Thursday nights are always interesting.

Freedom is innate. You will always have the freedom and right to either live or cease to be. Cogito ergo sum.


II. TV Shows

Okay, so DVR is going to be the death of me. I usually don't watch TV that much, but now that I have the ability to record shows, I'm watching too much it seems.

Here's what's on the DVR.



I know... it's a heck of a lot. But they're really good! *sigh*... It's too much TV... and then The OC is coming back Nov. 2.


III. "Nigger"


Note my use of quotation marks (""). No, I'm not saying the word because I want shock factor. I'm saying it because it's a real word with real meaning.

WARNING: Incoming Rant

Alright. I don't get it. I go to a community college where a large demographic of the student body is that of african descent. Or in layman's terms, 'black'. I've already come to the conclusion and decision that all people are equal and that it's ethically wrong to assign worth to someone based on anything, race included. Frankly, I'm not concerned with what term is politically correct or not (ie. African-American or Black).

What I am concerned with is the term "Nigger". EVERYDAY on the Antelope Valley College campus, I hear this word thrown around so often primarily in verbal exchanges between black people. It is as if you get a dollar each time you say it.

Let's talk about where the word came from, shall we? It's derived from the Spanish "negro" which came from the Latin "niger" which means "black". Originally, the word was not used as a derogatory epithet, but rather just as you could call a white person caucasian, you could call a black person nigger. However, as History unfolded, the term has grown into something of great offensive connotation as it is linked with terms like "inferior" or "weak" or "disgusting".

Now here's my gripe. Why do many of the Black people I see and hear on campus choose to call each other "Niggers"? (note that I say many and not all.) Is it a way of empathizing with each other? God forbid a person not of African descent ever come up and call a black person "Nigger". That person would probably get an earful, if not their mouth being slapped clear off their face.

Do these people who choose to shout this term to each other loudly on campus find it funny? Do they relish and delight in the history of pain, suffereing, and oppression that comes with this word? Do they just love the it's derogatory nature and embrace it?

Really... I dont get it. Help me out here.


[11:40p]

Cy, over and out.

3 reactions. Post a Comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with George on this one. There is "such difference" even though it doesn't make sense. Oh well. lol

But yeah, good luck with the whole DVR thing. I'm already addicted to a whole bunch of shows with my DVD-Recorder. =) Especially The OC. haha

Anonymous said...

hey you. you probably have no clue who I am, and that's fine. I used to comment on your dA photos. I'm a fan of photos. Anyway, I was browsing through old dA stuff, and happened upon your blog. You bring up a lot of interesting points, esp. the issues of Natural Rights and the n-word.

Natural Rights are rights because they have been demanded by the oppressed. Ideally, everyone would be born equal. I think they are, but in the world, especially in American society, there are natural oppressions (ie. racial, socio-economic, sex, natural impairments, where you're from, where you're born, if your parent want you or not, etc.). Some people are born "behind" in the system, without the priviledges of others. They are naturally oppressed; thus, there should be a big push for the ideal paradigm that all are created equal. There is a reality, as for now, that sits on the fact that it doesn't matter 'how far we've come,' but more on how much we're missing out on.

N-word usage sits badly with me too, but I know that it is a term of empowerment: it exists to demand power for those who feel that they don't have power. I still believe it's a bandaid fix to a bigger problem, and I don't like it there. Most who use it do know that it was used in a derogatory manner (they're not that ignorant to their own history, though many hs history classes still are), but it does make outsiders think about the existence of racism into today's society. We both ask "Why is this term still in usage? And, why by those who were oppressed under it?" It deserves a lot of exploration. I don't have an answer either, but I think you're on the right track by addressing it, but don't stop here.

Well, I would love to continue, but I gotta go to class! I'm enjoying your blog!

Tom said...

Why do people use profanity at all?