Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I'm way too emotional.

So it started simply enough: A shopping trip to Costco. My mother and I hop into the car and drive a couple miles to the popular wholesale warehouse.

We make our way through the store grabbing the various things we need; food, detergent, food, christmas greeting cards, food, etc.

After 40 minutes or so we're done shopping and head for the registers. Once we get there, I remember what was missing.

"Oh, we forgot the oatmeal!"

My mom replies, "Ooh that's right. Go get it. You know where it is, right?"

I shake my head saying, "No."

"It's in the rice aisle."

So I go on over to the rice aisle and there is no oatmeal to be found. I thought maybe I overlooked it, so I walked down the aisle again. Nothing. I check the other aisles adjacent and no sign of oatmeal. 4 rows down, I finally spot an employee and ask him where the oatmeal is.

"It's just in this next row, bro."

I thank him and cross over to the next aisle. Lo and behold, there is the oatmeal. Next to the cereal. I grab the box and start for the registers. I make a quick pit stop to the CDs and try to look for the new Christina Aguilera CD. One of my coworkers asked her mom to get it for her birthday, but her mom did not deliver. I thought it'd be nice if I got it for her, but it was a little pricy and I was in a hurry to get home.

I reach the register area and can't find my mom anywhere.

"Cy!" I hear from a distance.

"Cyril!"

I look over and on the other side of the registers, by the food place, is my mom. All checked out and ready to go.

She motions for me to get in a line, but all the lines already have 3-4 people waiting. I breathe a sigh of defeat, set the box of oatmeal on a closed register and head past towards my mom.

"You couldn't wait?" I say to her.

"Gee, Cy. I was already in line. I thought you would be back sooner."

I was thinking to myself that I wasn't even gone for all that long. I felt disapointed. I remain silent until we reach the lady checking the receipts to who I said, "Thank you."

As we walk to the car, I can tell my mom is feeling a little uneasy. We unload the cart into the trunk. She gets into the car as I take the cart away.

I get in and start the car. I can tell she's looking at me, but I'm not returning any glances.

She starts the conversation, "Cyril, that is so rude y-"

"What? Not waiting for me?" I interrupt abruptly.

"I was already in line. What was I supposed to do?"

"Well normally, you let people go in front of you if you're not ready yet!"

"You are so rude, Cyril. Here I am, buying this food for you and this is what you do?"

I'm thinking, all this over a box of oatmeal... Thoughts of the "Lost Incident" come rushing back. I press the issue.

"Mom, why couldn't you have just waited? You don't care! You've done it again. Just like with Lost!"

"It doesn't matter, Cy. What you did was rude."

I give her silence the rest of the ride home. What is really rude about what I did? I left a box of oatmeal on the register because I didn't want to wait in line anymore.

I don't know what it is, but when my parents do something that is meant to be done with me without me, I get really discouraged. It makes me feel unimportant; like I'm not part of the team.

And yeah it seems so petty over a box of oatmeal or a season of Lost, but if it happens on the little things, what's to stop it from happening on something of more importance?

Eh. I'm over it.

Now I have to go buy some oatmeal at the grocery store.

1 reactions. Post a Comment:

Tom said...

Bummer. Just let them know how you feel, and you've done that, but just explain to them why it is imprtant to you that they involve you. Definately try to keep the relationship solid--you're moving out in a year or two? So leave on a good note, not because of bad relationships. Maybe they just got used to you being gone and are encouraging you that way again. Eh-heh...