Saturday, October 07, 2006

I am up much too early.

[6:43a]

I'm up really early because I fell asleep last night at 10:00p. I wanted to take a nap then head out to the gym at 11:00p, but I slept instead. I woke up this morning at 6:30a.

Last night was really chill. Got home from work around 6:20p and did pretty much nothing for the rest of the night. I got bored and decided to play a little WoW. Yes, yes. I know I quit playing a little more than a month ago, but don't worry. I only played for an hour last night. That's really all I can stand to play. It's definitely lost its appeal to me.

Around 9:00p, I felt really hungry. Yesterday was a terrible day for me, nutrition wise. I've been trying to eat a lot, getting a lot of protein, carbs, and calories to build mass, but this week's been kind of lame. I've stopped keeping a food log, mainly due to laziness. I should start that up again.

Anyway, I went to Subway to get some food in my belly. As I was waiting in line (it was quite busy), I noticed a strange character in the corner of the room. He was a man, maybe in his late 40's. His shoulder length hair was blonde and wavy, but it didn't shine. It was dirty, faded, and frizzy. He wore a tattered pair of jeans and a worn green fleece sweater. The clothing fit loosely over his skinny 5'10'' frame. His face was as dirty as his clothes and was laced with many wrinkled lines. His green eyes seemed dim.

When I came into the store and waited in line, he was already done with his food. He only had a tray with an empty cup and a napkin. He didn't get up to get a refill, but just sat in the corner at his table. He had the most pitiful look on his face. At one point he sighed loudly and rocked back and forth in his chair. A few moments later, he chuckled to himself, sighing once more. His grin had turned to a smile and he shook his head as if he couldn't believe something.

As I was ordering my food, he got up, walked behind me to the soda machine and filled his cup. He went back to his table and picked up a Camelback backpack. The ones that have a tube that leads to a water bladder that you can drink from. He walked to the door, looked back at the table, gave one last sigh and exited.

It was quite an interesting scene to have witnessed. I couldn't help but wonder the entire time what this guy has been through. What events in his life got him to where he is now? I could assume that he was homeless from his clothing and hygiene. The wrinkles in his face were strong lines that probably tell many stories. His dim green eyes were intriguing. What has this man seen in his lifetime? What was he reflecting on that made him sad and moments later made him laugh?

I wonder, if I was in his situation, could I still find humor?


-Cy

[7:10a]

1 reactions. Post a Comment:

Tom said...

I wonder...