Monday, September 25, 2006

Dissection, Chili's, Balderdash, and A New Blogger

[10:21p]

Here goes an attempt to do this in 30 minutes before I have to go the gym at 11p...


I. Dissection

Webster's gives two different definitions for the word "Dissection":

1 : to separate into pieces : expose the several parts of (as an animal) for scientific examination
2 : to analyze and interpret minutely

1 : Today in my biology lab we dissected earthworms. What a throwback to my Freshman biology class in High School! I was pretty excited to get to dissect something today. It's been so long! While our female lab partners weren't so excited about the idea, I was all ready to grab that worm and slit it open. I know... I'm crazy, weird, and nerdy. But hey, I uncovered the esophagus, was able to keep the dorsal blood vesel intact, and was able to identify the crop, gizzard, and seminal vessicles! Cool huh? Not really? I know.

Worms are absolutely disgusting to me, but dissecting anything is way fun.

2 : Lately, I've been doing some analyzing and minute interpreting of my life and how I've been living it. Am I doing things for the good of others or have I been living solely for my own gain? I think as a Christian, this is something I have to ask myself and examine on occasion. One thing I'm reminded of is that Christ came not to be served, but to serve. (Matthew 20:28) How have I been doing with that?

Selfishness is something that leaves me feeling guilty a lot. It's definitely something that hits my heart hard. I want to be the person who strives not to hold on to material possessions as if they're the only things that matter on this earth.

Anyway, I've come to the realization that this is something that just needs to be worked on continuously throughout life. People are naturally selfish and self-serving.

Challenge: Live to Give.


II. Chili's

Today I got to go out to Dinner with two of my best friends, Justin and Justin. Let's clarify; Justin G. and Justin L..
The three of us headed out to Chili's Bar and Grill over in Palmdale before Justin L. headed down to Hollywood for school. (He's going to a recording school.)

We had a good time. It's always good to just sit with your buds and talk about whatever over a good hearty meal. One of our friends from High School, Ryan L., was our server. He was a grade above ours and was known for his silly antics and being a dang good guitarist. He was doing his training for being a waiter, thus he was being shadowed by some other dude whose arms were heavy laden withtats. Ryan did a great job and we gave him a $10 tip for a $40 bill. Not too shabby, eh?

It's times like these where you appreciate the friends you have and have to thank God for putting certain people in your life.


III. Balderdash

After Dinner, Around 7:18p I headed on over to the casa of my buddy Luke and his wife Amanda. They normally hold meetings with the leaders of the youth ministry every other week. This week, instead of having a meeting, we celebrated our friend JR's birthday. He turned 25 today! We shared with him how much we appreciate him and his joyous attitude (which if you've met JR you'd know exactly what I'm talking about).

We had ice cream cake and played a ridiculously silly game called Balderdash:

A clever repackaging of the free game Dictionary, Balderdash contains several cards with real words nobody's heard of. After one of those words has been read aloud, players try to come up with definitions that at least sound plausible, because points are later awarded for every opposing player who guessed that your definition was the correct one.

Balderdash is a pretty cool game. We got some really weird words that I can't remember now, but I'm sure I will later. EDIT: See Stilbite, Facula, and Misopedia.

Anyway, it's a fun game. I think I might buy it.


IV. A New Blogger!


First I started up a blog in 2004 called "What's in Cy's Head". It was changed in 2005 to "Insidecy". In August of 2005, my friend Justin G. started his blog "A Rambler's Ramblings". Then just a month ago in August, my friend Emily starts up her academic blog A Word or Two".

Now, another friend from High School, George A., has started up his blog, "Kinda Greek Philosophy". Check it out. He's a great guy with some good insight. I definitely look forward to seeing what he comes out with.

Now we're just waiting for Tom to start one...

Support Blogging!


[10:50p]

GOAL! Off to the gym.

Cy

2 reactions. Post a Comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I need to start a blog now? If you'll link to me so that people can actually find it (since I'm off myspace and can't link through there). If that can happen, I'll actually do it.

Cy said...

Yeah Tom, if you started a blog, Of course I'd link to you! Justin and George probably would too. It's not that hard to do.