Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Personal Trainers.

A couple weeks ago, I got a membership at a popular franchise gym. Along with the membership came 5 free 30 minute sessions with a personal trainer. On my first scheduled meet with a trainer, it turned out I was double booked with one of his regulars, so I had to reschedule. Tonight, I went in for my appointment and again was double booked. However, there was an available trainer who was going to help me again reschedule.

So this guy, we'll call him Tom, sits me down at his desk and asks me when I'd like to come in. I'm already getting some arrogant vibes from him as he's pretty much telling me I'm lying to him when I say that I was scheduled tonight for another trainer. He suggests that can either wait for the other trainer to call me, have a management person call me to reschedule, or I could even have him as my trainer for after the 6th of October.

I tell him that I bought the gym membership for the gym, not really for a trainer... 5 free sessions was just a cool bonus. He smirks arrogantly and begins to tell me why I need a trainer.

He then goes into asking me what my goals are. I told him that it was to gain at least 20lbs of muscle by the end of the year. He asks me where I've been getting advice. I tell him off of a message board, which gives him his arrogant smirk again and replies, "Are they certified trainers?"... I say that I don't know because really I don't. By this point, it's not even about whether or not the people on this forum are certified, it's that he's mocking my efforts at getting advice and help.

He's goes on asking me what they've been telling me on this forum. I tell him how I've learned to diet a lot better. He asks how much protein I'm getting, I say 180-200g a day. He then pulls out his cell phone and calculates that at my weight of 140lbs, I shouldn't have to have more than 127g. That's much less than anything I've read on any of the web sites I've visited regarding protein intake. He starts to explain blah blah 5-6 meals a day, protein intake, how the body gets energy first from carbs, then protein, then muscles, then fat... All things I already know, but he's explaining it in a tone that I have no clue what he's saying... He keeps reiterating himself.

He says I'm taking in too much protein and that I could be saving a lot of money, by not using as much protein powder (I drink 1-3 shakes a day). He tells me that Apex is the best because it's the only FDA approved multi-vitamin supplement and that my generic Multi-Vitamin from costco isn't that great of a choice. Surprise, Surprise... this gym sells Apex! He also tells me about Creatine...things I already know.

Then he asks me about my workout. I tell him my routine: Clean and Press - 10,8,6; DB Bent Over Rows - 10,8,6; Squats - 10,10,10 3 times a week and Bench press - 10,8,6 and Curls 10,8,6 once a week.

He asks if this is a football player's regiment. I shrug. He says, yeah it is. I'm a trainer. I know these things. He tells me that the clean and press isn't what I need and can in fact do more damage than good because of the "explosiveness" of the clean. He recommends only doing military presses. He then says that doing DB rows are okay, but I should be doing Pulley Rows instead. As for squats he says, "Ehh... yeah squats are good." He tells me that I should probably be doing 12,10,8 instead because "6 is dangerous".

Tom asks me, "How long do you look to spend in the gym?"... eyebrow raised.

I answer, "No more than an hour."

He responds, "That's the only thing you've said that I agree with so far. Well that, and that you need to eat right."

At the end of all this he goes, "See what I mean? See why you need a trainer?"

I say "yeah", mainly because I just want him to stop talking and I just want to go home.

So he brings up the options again about waiting for the manager to call me, waiting for the other trainer to call me, or he can be my trainer. There's no way in heck I'm picking option three, so I just leave a message for the manager to call me.

Honestly, this whole encounter turned me off to the idea of ever getting with a personal trainer. I'm sure this is just an isolated case and I had the privilege of talking with a guy who thinks he's the bomb.com. I'm hoping I get the other trainer I was supposed to have, as he seems like a much nicer and humbler guy.

At the same time, I'm now wondering what things Tom said that might be right and what things I should disregard. I respect all the opinions of everyone on the message board I frequent because I think that it is a responsible community. Also, I understand that this guy is 'certified'... with what, I don't know... at the same time, he works for a franchise gym and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking they're out to make an extra buck out of their clients.

*sigh*...

1 reactions. Post a Comment:

Tom said...

Why do you call him Tom?
Blarg...need to sleep...