Monday, September 18, 2006

Biology, 162, Hip-Hop Harry, and Carnivale

[11:41p]

I. Biology

BIO101... Mr. Michael Taback might be the most boring teacher I've ever had. I guess there could be worse, but he's up there. I call him 'squints' because he has some kind of tic whenever he talks that causes him to squint his eyes tight and open his eyes wide every 5-10 seconds. It was funny and entertaining for the first two classes, but even that can't keep my attention now. As a result, I've pretty much paid no attention in the last several class meetings. I just can't follow the guy. Even his lectures are terrible. He just goes to fast for anyone in the class and his notes are so small you can hardly read them off the projected transparency. Needless to say, this is my least favorite class of the semester and it would be an entire waste if it wasn't for one thing...

This past week I was really stressing out because of today's exam. This being the first test of the class combined with the fact that I haven't been paying much attention at all, I was definitely concerned with how I would do today.

Luckily, last week he made a study guide availible to us in the library for photocopies. Never one to pass up a study guide, I made my way to the library last Thursday and picked one up. Altogether, it was about 3 full pages of facts in a numbered list. I thought to myself, there's no way I'm going to remember all this.

All in High School I was a procrastinator. Heck, I mastered procrastination when I was in 4th grade with book reports. Why should college be any different? I put off studying for this test until my singing class this morning at 8:30. I had two and a half hours to study for an exam at 11am. I read through the facts several times throughout the class, stopping only to stand up and sing songs like "The Music of the Night" and others from different musicals.

Come time for Biology class, I felt I was as ready as I was ever going to be... well not so true. I could've studied over the weekend. Oh well. When I got the test and started to take it, I was surprised to find that EVERY single fact on the study guide he gave us was on the test in almost the same order. The only difference was that it was in the form of a multiple choice question. The test was easy. Too easy. As long as he continues to give tests like these, he can be as boring as he wants to be.

On Mondays I also have my Biology lab with instructor Nikki Riley. She's a way cool teacher. I'd be willing to bet that she's the best you can get out of all the instructors who proctor the lab classes. She's younger, she more than willing to help and answer questions, and she lets us get started on the actual lab as soon as possible instead of spending half an hour to 45 minutes lecturing like some other teachers do. (I know. Taback subbed for one class and Justin and I had to do a make-up lab under another instructor... who was absolutely terrible, by the way.) It's a good class. And I have 3 outstanding lab partners.

Note: If Mr. Taback has Tourette's, then... my bad. If not, then it's really funny.


II. 162

Tonight, after my workout at the gym, I headed on over to the local Brunswick lanes to bowl a couple games with my buddy Justin, his girlfriend's sister Chelsea, their co-worker, Kimi (?), and her boyfriend Travis.

I was a little excited because I haven't bowled since October of 2005. I was a little out of practice, but quickly got into the swing of things, bowling over 100 consistantly. Justin and I were on the same lanes, so we were pretty much in direct competition with each other. His first highest was 140-something and on a really close game I topped that with a 162, Justin trailing 4 points behind... If I recall correctly. I left around 11pm, content with my 162. Justin promised he would beat it, as that was his only goal for the night. I responded simply with, "I hope you do." He's like that. Half an hour ago, I just got a text from him that said "209".

Well, I guess you got me, bud. Congrats on a new PR for ya too.

I'm hoping I can maybe go every other week. $11 a week is kinda pricy for me right now.


III. Hip-Hop Harry


One of my HOBY friends Ben B. recently moved from Minnesota to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career. His latest project is a kid's television show that is premiering on Discovery Kids September 25th.

The show is called Hip-Hop Harry and features a thugged out fuzzy bear that dances and raps. It's really entertaining. Ben, I believe, actually is the actor in the Hip-Hop Harry costume. On the website, there's a section where you can listen to 11 of the songs. My personal favorite is #6 "Kaboom".

So... Support Ben. Support Education. Support Kids. Support Hip-Hop. Support Bears.

...Support Hip-Hop Harry.


IV. Carnivale

Having recently finished Lost, I felt like I needed another TV show to get hooked onto. I really really wanted to go out and rent the first season of Entourage just because I've heard a lot of good things about it and I also think Jeremy Piven is a cool guy and a phenomenal actor. Much to my dismay however, there were no availible copies of the first season at blockbuster.

Instead, I picked up the first season of Carinvale.



I haven't watched any episodes yet, but here is the premise off the HBO site...

The final battle between Good and Evil is looming, and Ben Hawkins and Brother Justin are on a collision course that could determine the fate of the world.

CARNIVALE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on Ben Hawkins, a mysterious 18-year-old fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and Brother Justin, the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path. The series takes place at a time of worldwide unrest, with evil on the rise around the globe and the Great Depression wreaking economic and social havoc here at home.

The opening credits (pretty cool)...


I have 'til Friday to finish all the episodes, so expect a review at the end of this week!


[12:51a]
Cy

0 reactions. Post a Comment: