Thursday, September 21, 2006

Options, Scissor Sisters, and The Office

[9:18p]

I. Options

Today, while walking around campus, I spotted a woman wearing a shirt that read "I HAVE OPTIONS."

Admittedly, I was a little baffled by the statement. Sure, in life we have plenty of options, but was this just a statement of the obvious? No doubt, it must have stood for something of significance.

My mind seemed to dwell on the subject for a while. Could it have to do abortion? politics? education?

Today some examples seemed very clear to me that deal with Options and Choices - two words that I believe are synonymous.

As I was driving to work, I saw two different places with signs in the front window that read, "FAST DIVORCE $--". I couldn't help but think to myself about Marriage and it's value in today's society. Are people finding it that hard to stay together and work things out; that getting a 'fast divorce' is just as marketable to the community as a vanilla frosty at Wendy's?

What choices are made that brings people to the point of divorce? I wonder what choice they made when they first met each other. What they chose to put aside in order to grow into a deeper relationship. I wonder what choices they made in order to get married and what they chose to promise each other in their vows. I wonder what choices they made in their marriage to keep the romance alive. I wonder what choices they made to intentionally hurt each other. What choice brought along the final straw where one finally said, "It's over"?

I understand that there are several cases where one needs to break off a relationship, say to abuse or infidelity, but I believe so many marriages are split apart just because they don't care to deal with it anymore. What a choice...

Several minutes ago, maybe ten or fifteen, I saw a commercial on CBS - which ironically, their website front page currently has an advertisement for a dating show called 'Hook Me Up'... Anyway, the commercial was absolutely brilliant and beautiful and adds on all the more to the idea of 'choices', which seems to be an underlying theme to my day. It's a one minute advertisment for Libery Mutual Insurance of people doing nice things for perfect strangers in a Pay it Forward kind of nature. These people in the commercial have the option to do good, or ignore it.

See the clip for yourself.



The commercial was designed and produced by Hill Holiday. This company went with the choice to market their clients and products, not from a fabricated or sensationalistic approach, but rather from one of truth, shining light on the greatest assets of that client or product. Check out their website. It's in blog format and it's a good read. You can also view a better resolution version of the commercial here.

Choices/Options


II. Scissor Sisters

Okay... I don't think I'm a fan of the Scissor Sisters. Their first single, "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" is very catchy though.

Anyway, what's more interesting about the Scissor Sisters is a promotional website they have where you can star yourself or others in a music video! Here's one I did of my buddy Justin and his girlfriend Heather.


Click on the picture to see the video!


You can make your own at www.DanceSisterDance.com

III. The Office

Tonight was the season three premier of The Office on NBC. It was absolutely HILLARIOUS. I don't think I've laughed as much because of a TV show as I have tonight.

Here's the premise of tonight's episode:
"When Michael unintentionally outs a gay employee, he stumbles through a sensitivity minefield."

It was great. It looks like it's going to be a great season! Oh! We might be getting a DVR (Digital Video Recorder) pretty soon! No more missed shows! It'll be especially great for when Lost comes on Wednesday nights and we miss it because of church.

Good times.

[10:18p]
Cy

3 reactions. Post a Comment:

Justin Gott said...

Well, my friend, that has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen (the video). Holy Crap!

Thanks for using me and Heather. . . I think!

And yes, THE OFFICE was great. However, if Jim and Pam don't get together at some point, I might stop watching. . . I haven't decided yet. MY NAME IS EARL was good too. Almost as funny. . .

Anonymous said...

good entry Cy - I enjoy reading your blogs. they are insightful.. p.s That commerical I love... Well hope all is well and keep up the great bogs. =) Elle, From Canada

Anonymous said...

I am still laughing SO hard! I am crying! That video of Heather and Justin was HILARIOUS! OMG...
*laugh* [wipe tears away] *laugh again*
~Mallory~