Monday, November 07, 2005

Yeah, I'm the new guy

Ugh. The first day of school was... not so good.

Being the new guy who can't even understand/speak the language is tough. I haven't been the new guy since 1st grade. I ate lunch at around 12 in the cafeteria... and I had no one to sit with... so I ate alone :(

My first class was at 1:30pm.

MKTG 415 - Global Marketing

This is a 4th year class that I chose to take. There were about 6 of us total. After the 30 minute introduction, he dismissed the class. I stayed after to talk to him about my chance in the class. He advised me to drop the class.

2:35pm was my next class.

HIST 111 - Philippine History

This is a first year class that is offered both 1st and 2nd semester. (btw. The semesters here are different from the States. 1st Semester starts in May. 2nd Semester starts in November) There were about 35 people in this class... all of them young.

1st year students here (freshmen) are typically 16-17 years old. They don't have Jr. High here, so they go straight from 6 years of elementary to 4 years of high school, then college.

Ok so the history class. Someone saw me walking around aimlessly outside the classroom and asked me if I was the professor. Well didn't really ask me, but he assumed I was the prof and he pointed me to the right room. I told him I wasn't the teacher. See... I don't have the uniform yet, so I'm in my normal clothes. And I guess I look older. So we all wait in the classroom (btw. 5/7 of my classes aren't air conditioned) for a good 20 minutes. The teacher doesn't show up, so we all leave.

My next class isn't until 5:50pm, so I decide to drop my Global Marketing and change it for something more useful. That process took about an hour (after I did more aimless wandering looking for the place).

My new class is in the same time slot... but in a different room (with air conditioning. YES)

MGT 221 - Human Behavior in Organizations

Should be interesting.

I get hungry again, so I go to the caf and eat alone for the second time today. *sigh*

I go to my class at 5:50 and there are about 15 other kids.

ACC 101 - Fundamentals of Accounting

This is a 2 hour class that I have every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Great.

Anyway, again... we wait... for 20 minutes... then everyone leaves. Two of my three classes today, the teacher doesn't show up.

Needless to say, this day's been pretty boring. Plus, I still don't really know anyone. I hope tomorrow's a better day :)

...

Yeah.
Cy

5 reactions. Post a Comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Cy. That sounds like a pretty cruddy day. You're an outgoing guy, so you'll probably be able to make some friends really soon. As for the teachers not showing up, hopefully, that was just a first day thing, and not how they'll be all semester. I pray for things to get better for you, buddy.

Abe Serrano said...

Assuming from a US mindset . . . they don't have any organizations or clubs to help international students? Or maybe an "English" or "American Culture" club? Hmm - ya the education structure in Mexico is the same. Hang in there buddy! My parents say hi and that they are proud of you.

Justin Gott said...

So, eating alone eh? That's EXTREME!!! Cmon? Harold and Kumar. Just trying to give you a piece of good ol' America. . O and where'd you get the idea of breaking up your blog into your classes? Ha ha, well I gotta rib you a bit cuz everyone else is just groveling for ya :) - Wish you were back here eating alone!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling of being the new guy--but not like you...I give you 2 sympathy points and 3/4 of a pity point. You'll survive, and I'll be praying for you as well. Poor Ril-Cy.

Anonymous said...

You are nuts for taking that many classes but I guess you will stay busy. Leave some time for some good fun. Join some campus organizations!

I spent the weekend in the hospital, either food poisioning or inner-ear infection. We haven't figured it out yet but I have been dizzy and throwing up since Saturday morning. I am home now.

So, my words of advice for this week, watch out for the food!