Saturday, May 20, 2006

Racist, much?

So tonight at work was an interesting one. First of all, I worked a full 8 hour shift, which I haven't done in quite a long time. My feet are killing me right now. Second, Veronica, one of our managers had caught a kid stealing sunglasses, called his mom, and told him to never set foot in the store again. That was rad.

The third thing irked me and still irks me to this moment. I was laying out T-shirts on one of the front tables. One of em had a printing of a couple cartoon dogs standing behind a fence. One dog says, "Why must I feel like that", another says "Why must I chase the cat?", and the third says, "It's just the dogg in me!"... Obviously a Snoop Doggy Dogg shirt. Another is a shirt with 'Dr. Dre' printed over a large portrait of himself.

No, it wasn't the shirts that bothered me, but rather a comment one of my coworkers had made. This coworker walked up to me, looked at the Dr. Dre shirt and said, "Since when did we become a 'N*gg*r Store'? I swear, we're getting all this black stuff. They have Demo (another retail store) for that. Pretty soon we'll be selling Fubu."... I was kinda blown away by the comment and didn't really react to it. The coworker went on his way straightening up the area.

Later on in the night, two young black ladies came in the store acting quite hyper and giddy. This same coworker murmurred to me, "I f***in' hate black people."

What is it with people? I'd like to say, what is wrong with our generation, but this isn't a problem that is different between ages. This is something that all people of all generations deal with. Really, why the animosity? Are they really that annoying that you have to generalize an entire race with a stereotype and judge?

I don't understand why people can't be more accepting and kind towards one another. Especially for our generation, we need to set a better standard of acceptance and unity. Building hatred is not a good thing for this world.

*sigh*... My opinions of this certain coworker have definitely changed a bit. I wish that this person gets some sort of revelation in their life that changes their view. But that's wishful thinking.


Cy

0 reactions. Post a Comment: