Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Satire gone too far?

So as we all know, Saddam was executed this past week. A huge milestone in the history of time, if you ask me. On the news today, aside from the late President Ford's funeral and burial coverage, there was a lot of talk about the leaked execution video of Saddam.

I went online trying to find the clip. I'm not exactly sure why. I've seen some filmed executions online (read: my experience) and they're not that great to watch. I was definitely disturbed and it didn't sit well with my stomach. I think I just wanted to see if I could find it.

I did find it, but didn't play it all for the aforementioned reasons. What I did find, however, seemed to strike a stronger chord within me.

The following is a clip from SNL's "Saturday TV Funhouse", an animated segment that is usually a political satire. As I watched it, I was both humored and disgusted. See if that rings true with you...


Obviously the things that are incredibly over-the-top, such as Osama and Saddam being able to shapeshift and President Bush bearing a striking resemblance to our primate friends, weren't really all that offensive to me. The CIA agents 'fornicating' and Chaney talking about renaming Iraq to East Dakota reminded me a little bit of Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. The dialogue of the Iraqis seemed like a throwback to Team America: World Police, shouting things like, "Holy Jihad" and whatnot.

What really started to irk me was the commercials. Especially the one advertising rocks as children's toys.

I don't know. I think there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, and I felt like that one was taken a bit too far. But now, even as I sit here writing this, I'm thinking about the movies Borat and Team America. Were those satirical comedies, just like this one, considered to be taken 'too far'?

I'm not sure where I would draw the line, but I do know that I just felt a little uneasy after watching this clip. The same way I felt uneasy after watching Borat and Team America. At the same time, though, is there such a thing as being too Politically Correct? I guess that depends on the person.

What do you think?
Cy

0 reactions. Post a Comment: