Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Cy Recommends... [Jan. 02]

With the new year and the new changes to the blog, I figured it'd be fun to do a weekly edition of things that I like and recommend. For now, it'll be titled "Cy Recommends..." and I'll try to do one every Tuesday. Without further ado...



Cy Recommends for the week of January 02, 2007...



I. Liquid Bean Coffee

For those of you living in the Antelope Valley area (Lancaster/Palmdale), you most likely already know about this gem located in the heart of Lancaster.

The quality rivals that of Starbucks and exceeds, based on my first impression of the place, The Coffee Bean/Tea Leaf. The prices are competitive and in most cases cheaper than it's corporate equals.

The service is fast and friendly and that's always a good thing.

Also, I'm all about supporting local and small businesses. So if you're ever in the Lancaster area, check out the Liquid Bean Coffee House.

Liquid Bean Coffee House
1711 W Avenue K
Lancaster, CA 93534
(661) 942-7591


II and III. The Fountain/The Fountain OST

Don't know if you've had the chance to catch the latest Darren Aronofsky creation, The Fountain. Released in late November, this film is both thought provoking and visually stunning. If you weren't fortunate enough to see it on the silver screen, I recommend that you catch it when it comes out on DVD in April of this year.

Hugh Jackman gives a stellar performance as three separate characters - a Spanish conquistador, a modern day research scientist, and a futuristic astronaut. Rachel Weiss, one of my favorite actresses, gives a noteworthy performance as well. The plot is convincing and though it weaves in and out of its three different stories consistently throughout the film, the general theme is easy to spot and identify with. It is essentially a love story between a man and a woman.

Here's the trailer, which in my opinion, doesn't do the movie justice.

One of the best things the The Fountain has going for it, aside from it's outstanding cinematography, is its incredibly moving and beautifully haunting soundtrack. They say the score makes the scene, and in this case that's very very true.

Even if you don't like the film, if you have any taste in music whatsoever, this soundtrack is definitely for you. *wink*

The final track on the CD is one of my favorite songs from a film. "Together We will Live Forever", though just a simple piano piece, is the song that runs during the credits that just sends shivers down the spine. Amazing.

--

Well that's all I've got for this edition of "Cy Recommends...", I'm sure as time goes on, I'll refine this weekly feature. Tell me what you think! Leave comments. I recommend it.

0 reactions. Post a Comment: