Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends"

I'm listening to Fall Out Boy right now and that's one of their songs of the new album.

I think it's a great title... for a song... for life. You know?

Last Friday, I gave my two-weeks notice to Anchor Blue. It went well. My manager was sad though. She was like, "Awww Cy, we're gonna miss you for the Holiday season!"

I felt bad.

Just got in from watching The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Man. This movie is crazy. If you have any kind of spiritual beliefs, or even if you don't... this movie gets you thinking. It has some nice jump parts in it too :)

So anyway, on friends...

It's interesting to find, when you take a second to think about it, who your true friends really are, and who are just "friends".

I use to be able to say that I have a lot of friends. However with that, I think that the word "friend" loses some of its significance with each friend I make.

Let me explain. In high school, I thought I had a lot of friends. And don't get me wrong, I still have friends from High School...

Hmm... maybe I should try to define what a friend is first. To me, I think a friend is someone on whom you can truly rely on - Spiritually, Emotionally, Physically, etc. A friend is someone who would go with you through anything.

Restricting my list of "friends" to that definition, I'd probably be able to count how many true friends I have on two hands.

I'm finding that as life goes on, you start to see who exactly your true friends are and how much you really need them.

I have this fear in the back of my mind, though. When I was younger, my set of "friends" was different from the friends I have now. Five years from now, will I have the same friends? Will my current friends be at the same level of trust and commitment in the future as they are now? Or will that be replaced? Time can only tell, I suppose.

Interesting to think about...

This thursday, I'm going to Knott's Berry Farm with a bunch of my friends from school. This little clique, if you'd call it that, has been together since my Freshman year of high school and we've all remained pretty good friends, some of which I am closer to than others. It's odd though, in this group of friends, there are some things that I can tell some of them that I can't tell others and vice versa. It's like some kind of double life within our group of friends. I don't understand it sometimes. For instance, there are friends in this group that I feel comfortable talking about spiritual things with and there are some that I don't.

Hard to explain I guess.

Then, there's my friends from Church. It seems like they are an entirely different breed.

Eh... friendships. It's an incredible concept.

I can't imagine life without friends. Without fellowship. Without going to some family restaurant to order Chili Cheese Fries and talk about "The Alliance".

I'm thinking that when I go to the Philippines, I really see what's valuable in my life... (who and what).

meh.
Cy

2 reactions. Post a Comment:

Justin Gott said...

And we're always willing (though not always available) to do that for ya. You are KNOWN for your chili cheese fries (and the Alliance???) and you should also be known as a true friend of the Justins. Always know that bud - aw touching even!

Anonymous said...

As I read this, I lean back in my chair and woder,"Did I mak the cut? Am I on the List?" I wish I had your email, Ril-cy. If you read this, well I'm not going to write mine in here, but I'm sure you could get it to me somehow....